Wedding Song - God Knew That I Needed You

Wednesday, February 10, 2021

MOD VANDYKE SPRING KITCHEN TOWEL

I designed this vividly colorful Spring themed kitchen towel, using my own basic towel pattern that I designed in 2016 … and implemented an openwork hemline using the Vandyke Stitch V.

My kitchen here is all white; except for the colorful outdoorsy hard surface stonework flooring, and the smokey slate-colored appliances.

This kitchen was totally gutted and redesigned for me in 2017, shortly after we bought the house – and 1 year before Bob would be called Home, beyond the clouds; I have lived in this house longer than my husband.

The kitchen towel I designed and worked up tonight will “let the sunshine in” … and add some bold color pop 😊

I have paired my new kitchen up with a dishcloth & scrubbie I had made a while ago for my Bazaar Cache – it appears Bazaars will become a thing of the past, if the 3rd coup continues … no businesses are allowed to open, and everyone must now wear THREE masks inside, or outside: that pretty much halts my Bazaar fun. So, I took this dishcloth and scrubbie out of a bin, and worked a pretty Spring themed towel around them 😉

I like it!

MOD Vandyke St V Kitchen Towel Set - all my own designs (no pattern for the dishcloth, or scrubbie).
Designing new towel around MOD Scrubbie colors (no pattern).

Cotton yarn in Yellow, Hot, Pink & Green

# 10-1/2 knitting needles

#J/10 crochet hook

Terms used:

wrn = wrap yarn around needle

sl = slip 1 stitch

st. st. stockinette stitch

k = knit

p = purl

psso = pass 1 st over sl st

tog = together

m = make 1 st (same as wrn)

EO = end off yarn

CO = cast on stitches

 

With pink, CO 73 sts & P 1 row.

Then work 6 rows Moss Stitch as follows:

Row 1: *K 1, P 1*, across row.

Row 2: Rpt row 1. EO pink.

Attach yellow yarn, and begin Vandyke Stitch V openwork pattern:

Row 1 of design: *K 1, wrn to make 1, sl 1, k 1, psso, k 3, k 2 tog, m 1* across row; end k 1.

Row 2 and all alternate rows: Purl.

Row 3: *K 2, m 1, sl 1, k 1, psso, k 1, k 2 tog, m 1, k 1* across row; end k 1.

Row 5: *K 3, m 1, sl 1, k 2 tog, psso, m 1, k 2* across row; end k 1. EO yellow.

Next Row: Attach green, and P 1 row.

Work 3 rows Moss St: EO green.

Next Row: Attach pink & work 2 rows Moss St; EO pink.

Vandyke St V Pattern.

Next Row: Attach yellow and work in st. st. until there are a total of 61 rows from beginning. EO yellow.

Row 62 (wrong side): Attach pink and P 2tog – P 3 tog across row to last 2 sts: end P 2 sts. There should be 29 sts on needle.

Change from knitting needles to crochet hook and work in sc as follows: dec 1 st EA end until 8 sts remain.

Sc for 13 rows.

Sl st x5; ch 6 and sl st in same sp; sl at to end. Turn.

Dc x12 in chain loop; EO.

Add a decorative loop edging of your choice (or leave plain).

Sew button in place and weave in loose ends.


A kitchen towel may seem like such a small thing, but in today’s environment, happiness must be found and enjoyed where we can – I choose happiness. I enjoy designing and creating … currently, with yarn 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment