Friday, July 13, 2018
1 packet of dry Yeast (2-1/4 teaspoons) * 1 cup warm Water (110 - 115 degrees Fahrenheit on a candy thermometer) * 2 – 3 TBSP granulated Sugar * 2 teaspoons Sea Salt * 1/8 teaspoon Saffron ½ cup melted Margarine * ¾ cup Yolk Substitute (5 egg whites) * 4-1/2 cups Flour, unsifted * a handful of large Raisins
1. Melt margarine and cool.
2. Meanwhile, dissolve yeast in warm water and allow it to bubble. Add sugar, salt, and saffron.
3. Add margarine, yolk substitute, and 3 cups of the flour – stir until well blended.
4. Gradually add remaining flour and raisins. Knead on a floured surface until dough is smooth and elastic; about 10 minutes.
5. Place in a greased bowl; cover and let rise in a warm spot until double in size: about 2 hours.
6. Punch dough down and knead a few minutes.
7. To make 1 large braid, divide dough into 3 equal parts and roll each piece into a long rope.
8. Braid the 3 ropes together and pinch ends to seal. Place on a greased baking sheet and let rise until double in size: about 1 hour.
9. Bake in a preheated 375-degree oven for 25 minutes.