Wedding Song - God Knew That I Needed You

Friday, November 29, 2019

CHRISTMAS MODE ~ 2nd YEAR/SOLO


Fireplace mantel décor - nothing fancy; just "done".

Christmas mode, solo style; is a bit more low-key, and a lot quicker to set up ;-)

I did more than I anticipated – or even planned to do – but, not as much as I would normally do if Bob, or a grandchild, was still in-house. Still, I think it’s okay, and I am content that the house is sufficiently “done up” all things considered this year. Last year was a little different – I was a new widow (6 days old) by the time I got to the decorating; and a few other things have changed too, this year – the Christmas Cactus’ have become bushier and have been moved to new locations where they can continue to spread their charms; the kitchen ivy basket is gone; I pulled the tinsel from the along the walls in May (and it won’t ever go up again: that job really takes two people to accomplish – I’ll find other uses for the tinsel) ...



... the windowsills this year aren’t tinsel/candle accommodating sills (I am trying hydroponics this year); and the outdoor décor didn’t get done at all last year – I was dizzy with grief and didn’t trust myself not to topple over dealing with heights: my BIL Kerry did everything that had to do with heights last year, but I didn’t want to bother him to do the garlands – 
(https://jeastofeden.blogspot.com/2018/12/moving-forward.html).

I didn’t get as fancy as 2017 either – our first Christmas here at Heron Pointe, when our life was happy, and the future was looking bright … (https://jeastofeden.blogspot.com/2017/11/holiday-anticipation-in-full-swing.html): maybe next year will be “more”, but this year I am still trying to live successfully and confidently without Bob, here with me. I am trying to be festive without feeling festive.

But, all in all, I’m satisfied with what I managed to get in place today ;-)

Woke up this morning to frost coating everything. It was 29-degrees Thursday at bedtime; 25-degrees at 4 AM this morning – 38-degrees at noon.
Hung the lighted Christmas Garland on the front porch railing – tied it down pretty snugly so it wouldn’t whip against the railing too much when the river winds blow through. Also hung wreath & laid the Seasonal mat. I didn't spend a lot of time dinking around with anything: it was cold.
Around the other side of the house, I even swept the fallen leaf litter out of the carport.
Hung carport wreath, and laid the new Seasonal Coir mat.
I hung tinseled Snowflake Garland on the carport porch railing: this is a first - I have not hung garland on this porch in previous years.
And I hung Christmas Chimes in the carport too; this chime set is 29 years old.
The tiny Christmas Tree is in place on the fireplace mantel; I bought this tree at the Pleasant Hill Grange Bazaar, where I was a vendor.


The tiny old-world Santa my Grandmother Ball made in 1970; it is starting to show its age, and the decoupage is beginning to break down ... but I love it. And it will continue to grace my trees ;-)
This Angel Trio is 46 years old. From a Miles Kimball mail order catalog.
Sparse spare bathroom décor; I bought the wire Tree Trio at the Pleasant Hill Grange Bazaar.
Wire Christmas Trees are colorfully beaded.
Kitchen window tinsel & faux cookie trims.
MOD Crochet throw pillow covers -
(https://jeastofeden.blogspot.com/2019/11/mod-crochet-winter-chillin-pillow.html); smaller pillow covers worked same concept, smaller scale.
Christmas décor finished - solo style, by a widow trying to feel the Christmas spirit. Shabbat Shalom :-D
The Magan David Stars Bob designed and built for me 7 years ago, at our previous home on Sparks Drive, in Kelso. I used them inside this year, here at Heron Pointe,  in Longview.

No comments:

Post a Comment