Wedding Song - God Knew That I Needed You

Monday, June 24, 2019

SURVIVAL IS NOT A CHOICE


When Bob’s physical body was dying … and even after his earthen vessel did die, 1 of my SIL’s would tell people, “she is a rock.”

But I wasn’t a rock.

I was doing what had to be done in a numb state of mind because inside I was crumbling and desperately trying to keep it together.

Bob was my whole world: and my whole world had been taken away from me. I was scrambling for firm footing.

The “rock” had a hairline fracture that would significantly widen over the next 3 months after the shock wore off and legal business had been tended to,

The people who loved Bob and me understood that would eventually happen – and they never left me alone; even though I had specifically requested I be left alone for a while. I knew I was barely hanging on emotionally, and I hate breaking down in front of people. I rarely even cried in front of Bob. Crying always meant weakness to me … and I hate to appear weak. But our loving friends hung around and hovered over me after Bob’s graduation. In the beginning, they just called daily and listened to me cry; and talk when I eventually could talk without choking on words. In February they started coming around more often – by April, they were plotting kidnapping ventures and getting me out of the house and out of my head, as much as they could. They still do that. LOL

I didn’t even know I had friends that loved me like Bob did (okay, not quite like Bob did, but close – very close). I am not very good at being social – being social was Bob’s thing. I am a lobo.

But our friends had been watching me. They understood that even lobos are not islands unto themselves.

And they were quick to come alongside me and let me know I was not alone. Even though I was alone.

I honestly do not think I could have made it through the wilderness without them; and they were dealing with their own losses too: 1 lost a mother (just a few short months before Bob ended up in the hospital), and 1 lost a father (just a month before Bob ended up in OHSU). We were all grieving.

But they called us every day while we were in the hospitals; local and in Oregon.

Bob left knowing he was loved.

And Bob left knowing I would BE loved when he was no longer here to comfort me.

I thank God for my friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment