Wedding Song - God Knew That I Needed You

Tuesday, April 16, 2019

A LITTLE FURTHER DOWN THE LINE


Today I actually left the comfort zone I shrouded myself with following Bob’s physical death in December 2018 ... I drove over the Coal Creek backroads to Castle Rock; about 45 minutes one way – the little store there has the best mixed green salads, and I felt like eating one today ;-) I took the backroads because there is less stress on country roads than going through town and onto the freeway. Bob and I always took the backroads. He preferred the freeway which is faster, but stuck to the backroads for my peace of mind: freeways are just too frantic for me. I avoid them whenever possible.

The weather behaved and the drive was relaxing. The only upsetting part was when I somehow tripped the dome light and could not figure how to turn it off! So, I texted Alex with a "Help!" text, followed by a short video showing him the light, the little doodads surrounding it, and explaining the situation. The car is a touch-start car and everything about it confuses me because Bob didn't get around to showing me how to operate the darned thing before - well, you know. I don't know that I will ever figure out how to operate the car past starting it and driving it. Bob had confidence in me that I would eventually “get it” with difficult things, but right now my brain is misfiring and/or going on strike when I need Bob’s boost of confidence.

I know it sounds lame, but I AM lame right now: my mind doesn't switch gears like it used to 7 months ago. When I get into a stressful situation in the moment happening n.o.w., a brain freeze settles in, and all I can do is squeak out a feeble, "Help!" Sometimes I am rendered speechless; or actually start to stutter. Over little things. Totally not me; at least, not the me I used to be before I became a widow and all common sense/logical conclusions apparently flew out the top of my head. Even my daughter is confused and constantly tells people, "This is not my mother's normal behavior. Trust me; this woman can wage war with one hand and hold the fort with the other. Nothing stops her from something she sets her mind to doing." I sure wish I was, right now, that woman ... that other me ... Bob and Stacey remember. I sure could use her fortitude.

Anyway.

I have to drive to Eden Valley next month and I need to be able to drive more than 5 minutes into downtown here - I need to be comfortable driving 2 hours straight without falling apart.

So today was the beginning of spreading my wings, seeing past tunnel vision, and moving a little further down the line.

Aside from the dome light snafu, it went pretty well ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment