Wedding Song - God Knew That I Needed You

Thursday, April 8, 2021

COOKATHON #2 ~ 2021

Most of these recipes are for light meals, so there aren’t a lot of leftover servings to stock the freezer with for future meals … but a few recipes did make extra servings – those I wrapped individually and froze for quick grabs to pair up with light side dishes πŸ˜‰

I am going to be sticking mostly with light meal recipes for quite a while. I need to drop at least 20 more pounds: 25 would be better, but that probably will not happen (aging bodies put up a real struggle when it comes to shedding pounds), so 20 will be what I aim aiming for.

At least, according to these weight info ‘statistics’ (link below) … I am not obese πŸ˜‰

But, I do need to scale down to take some of the wear and tear off my aging joints 😊

WEIGHT INFO: (https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323446)

That said, I do like to eat varied meals, and I keep them healthy because I don’t run to doctors, or swallow pharmaceuticals: my food is my medicine, and exercise balances everything out.

I admit, there are some weeks I throw caution to the wind, and get stuck with a hungering for school cafeteria junk food meals … but generally, I try to keep my menus healthily varied; trying for a balanced ‘Food Pyramid’ scenario to keep my body functioning to maximum capability.

The lineup in this cookathon is on the light side, with Beef Sausage & Eggs, Bok Choy Soup, Broiled Chicken with Herbed Vegetables, Pepper Steak, Fried Razor Clams, Yogurt & Spiced Chicken w-Grapefruit Relish, Sea Trout w-Mushroom Stuffing, & Tarragon Vinaigrette.

I like a savory sausage once in a while, and I like scrambled eggs – so, this breakfast dish fills the bill 😊 Sometimes, we’d eat breakfast fare for Supper, and this was a good choice; and I am in the mood for it now. I don’t remember where I got this recipe, but I have been making it for decades. It is healthier than pork sausage, tastier than turkey sausage … and the spices add flavor, as well as an illusionary warmth to a gray, nippy/breezy day.

I added shredded Cheddar Cheese to my recipe because I made a few ‘ugly dogs’ – that is the only change I made to the original recipe posted below.

I also shaped my sausage mixture into little ‘links’, as well as patties, shaped freehand: This took more time, but it suits my personal needs/wants.

Fried & ready for freezer breakdown ...( https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods/beef#bottom-line)

==BEEF SAUSAGE & EGGS ~ Makes 4 servings

1 pound ground Chuck (I used very lean trimmed meat) * 1 small Onion, grated (I used chopped onion) * ¼ cup cold Water * 1½ teaspoons Salt (I use Sea Salt) * 1½ teaspoons leaf Marjoram, crumbled * ½ teaspoon ground Allspice, ¼ teaspoon ground Nutmeg * 1/8 teaspoon ground Cayenne Pepper * 8 Eggs * 1/3 cup Milk (I use dry milk) * 1/8 teaspoon ground Black Pepper * 2 Tablespoons Margarine

1. Combine beef, onion, water, 1 teaspoon salt, marjoram, allspice, nutmeg, and cayenne in a medium-size bowl until well mixed:

Beef mixture - I added 3/4 cup of shredded cheddar.

Shape mixture into a roll about 2½-inches in diameter, and 7 inches long. Wrap in wax paper; chill several hours or overnight until firm enough for slicing.

2. Cut sausage roll into ½-inch slices with a sharp knife. Cook slices in skillet until well browned, turning often.

Shaping the beef mixture.
Ugly Dogs, Patties & Links. Enough for 12 breakfasts, for solo lobo me.

3. While sausage cooks, beat eggs and milk together with remaining salt, and pepper to taste (opt.) in a medium-size bowl; melt butter in large skillet and add beaten eggs. Cook until eggs are thickened but still moist. Transfer to plates.

Per serving (includes egg portions): 356 calories; 23.24 g protein; 26.11 g fat; 6 g carbohydrate; 153.25 mg sodium

EGG INFO: (https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/expert-answers/cholesterol/faq-20058468 & https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323251#summary)

The recipe for Boy Choy Soup comes from my ‘Gourmet/March 1985’ cooking magazine. It is a good light Spring soup packed with vitamins and healthy nutrition … and the house smells good, too, while it is cooking πŸ˜‰

I made this soup for a Shabbat Meal; eating 1 serving, and saving the other for later in the week.

==BOK CHOY SOUP ~ Makes about 2½ cups, serving 2

1 large Garlic clove, minced * 1½ teaspoons Olive Oil * 3 cups chopped Bok Choy (Chinese Cabbage), including leaves * 2 cups Chicken Stock (canned, or homemade) * freshly ground Black Pepper

Bok Choy Soup Ingredients

In a large saucepan cook the garlic in the oil over moderately low heat, stirring, for 1 minute; add bok choy and the broth, and simmer the mixture – covered, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until bok choy is tender. Serve the soup with pepper to taste.

Per Serving: 130 calories; 32 g protein; 6 g fat; 7 g carbohydrate; 173 mg sodium

This fragrant vegetable medley recipe comes from my 1986 ‘Weight Watchers 365-Day Menu Cookbook’. I paired this recipe with a broiled chicken breast half, and pear slices.

Chicken Breast w-Herbed Vegetables.
Braising my chicken breast on the stove top; looking good ...
Chicken breast opened up ... I don't like pink meats.

==HERBED VEGETABLES ~ Makes 2 servings

1 cup sliced mushrooms, ¼-inch thick slices (I used Chanterelle, gifted to me by a knowledgeable mushroom picker) * dash Salt (I use Sea Salt) * 2 teaspoons Margarine * dash EA Thyme leaves, Chervil leaves (or parsley, or tarragon, or a blend of the two), and Rosemary leaves * 2 cups Zucchini, ¼-in thick slices, blanched * 2 cups broccoli florets, blanched * ½ cup sliced red Bell Pepper, ¼-inch wide strips * 1 teaspoon Lemon juice

Heat a large nonstick skillet; add mushrooms and salt. Cook over medium heat about 3 minutes to cook out moisture in mushrooms – they should be tender, but not limp. Place mushroom slices on paper towels.

This tarragon I grew in my garden, is still pungent - and running out.
Chantarelle mushrooms cooking.

Wipe skillet dry with a paper towel. Melt margarine in skillet; add thyme, chervil, and rosemary – sautΓ© 30 seconds. Stir in zucchini, broccoli, mushrooms, and red pepper. Cover, and cook, stirring occasionally – about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and serve.

Herbed Vegetables cooking.

Per Serving: 143 calories; 10 g protein; 5 g fat; 19 g carbohydrate; 138 mg sodium

This Pepper Steak recipe also comes form my 1986 ‘Weight Watchers 365-Day Menu Cookbook’. I paired this recipe with zucchini rice (shredded zucchini added to rice), and sliced peaches.

I used a cube steak (just works better for me), cut into strips with kitchen scissors; and skillet browned. The recipe tastes fine with the substitute πŸ˜‰

Pepper Steak meal.

==PEPPER STEAK ~ Makes 2 servings

12 ounces boneless Chuck Steak * 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil * 1 medium Red Bell Pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips * ¾ cups Beef Broth * 1 teaspoon Soy Sauce * 2 teaspoons Cornstarch, dissolved in 1 Tablespoon Water * dash ground Black Pepper

Pepper Steak Ingredients.

Broil steak on a rack until rare; cut into thin strips. Heat oil in skillet; add red pepper strips and sautΓ© until tender. Add steak, broth, soy sauce – and cook for 3 minutes. Gradually stir in dissolved cornstarch, and cook until sauce thickens. Season with black pepper.

Pepper Steak cooking.
Rice cooked with shredded zucchini.

Per serving: 348 calories; 36 g protein; 18 g fat; 9 g carbohydrate; 262 mg sodium

I bought seafoods the other day when I was in town – Halibut, Sea Scallops, and Razor Clams … I froze the halibut and scallops; but I am frying the razor clams tonight; and freezing them in 1-serving portions for future meals. I love razor clams, so I have to get them into the freezer fast to keep from devouring them all! LOL

Sea Scallops; big and fat. 10 baggies with 2 serv. EA = 20 meals.
Very spendy Halibut; small steaks, but that's okay – I am getting 22 meals out of this expenditure.

==FRIED RAZOR CLAMS ~ 8 servings

I ate 1 for supper … froze the rest.
Freezer ready ...

(https://jeastofeden.blogspot.com/2021/04/early-bird-day.html)

This chicken recipe comes from a recipe page I tore from the local ‘Daily News’ newspaper in 1992.

I made the chicken … but passed on the relish; it sounds good, but there is only me, now – so, I ate my chicken with a green salad and shredded colorful veggies πŸ˜‰

I also grilled my chicken cutlets in my Panni Grill, instead of the oven – I froze the extra 3 pieces when they cooled.

Yogurt & Spiced Chicken cutlet, with a mixed green salad. YUM-YUM!

==YOGURT & SPICED MARINATED CHICKEN w-Grapefruit Relish ~ serves 4

1/4 cup nonfat plain Yogurt * 3 Tablespoons Lime juice, divided * 2 teaspoons Olive Oil * 2 teaspoons minced Garlic * 1½ teaspoons ground Cumin * 1 teaspoon Paprika * 1 teaspoon Sea Salt, divided * 1 pound thinly sliced boneless, skinned Chicken Breasts * 2 cups jarred Grapefruit sections, drained * 1 small Red Onion, minced (about ¾ cup) * 2 Tablespoons fresh Cilantro * 1 teaspoon Honey * ½ to 1 Jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped * ground Black Pepper, to taste

Ingredients for Yogurt & Spiced Chicken.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 2 Tablespoons of the lime juice, olive oil, garlic, cumin, paprika, and ½ teaspoon salt.

Preparing the marinade.
Blending the marinade ingredients for Yogurt & Spiced Chicken.

Add the chicken cutlets, turning to coat them. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes – or up to 8 hours.

Marinade ready for dipping chicken pieces.
Chicken slathered with yogurt & spice marinade.
Chicken ready to refrigerate for a couple hours.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the grapefruit sections, onion, cilantro, honey, jalapeno, black pepper, the remaining lime juice, and remaining salt.

Heat the broiler: arrange chicken on a wire rack set over a baking sheet. Place on the top rack of the oven and cook until the chicken is browned on the outside and no longer pink on the inside – about 4 minutes per side. Serve with the grapefruit relish.

Grilling the chicken in my little Panni Grill.
Testing for doneness with a toothpick ...

Per serving: 242 calories – 40 calories from fat; 66 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrate; 28 g protein; 2 g fiber; 681 mg sodium

This fish dish come from my 1986 ‘Weight Watchers 365-Day Menu Cookbook’.

I ate my fish dish in a light meal; with steamed asparagus, and a green salad tossed with avocado & Tarragon Vinaigrette (recipe follows).

Supper; fish with mushroom stuffing.

==SEA TROUT w-MUSHROOM STUFFING ~ Makes 2 servings

1 teaspoon Margarine * 1 Tablespoon minced Shallots * ½ cup chopped Mushrooms * 2 Tablespoons minced Celery * 1 Tablespoon chopped Pimento * 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice * ¼ teaspoon Sea salt * 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh Parsley * 2 teaspoons reduced-calorie Mayonnaise * ½ teaspoon prepared Mustard * 12 ounces Sea trout fillets

Melt margarine in a small nonstick skillet; add shallots and sautΓ© briefly – being careful not to burn. Add mushrooms, celery, pimento, lemon juice, and salt; sautΓ© until tender. Remove from heat and stir in parsley, mayonnaise, and mustard.

Arrange fish fillets in baking pan. Spread vegetable mixture over fillets and bake in 400-degree oven, for about 20 minutes – or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.

Fish ready to go into oven ...

Per serving: 249 calories; 29 g protein; 13 g fat; 4 g carbohydrate; 490 mg salt

==TARRAGON VINAIGRETTE ~ makes 4 servings

1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Olive or Vegetable Oil * 1 Tablespoon Tarragon Vinegar * 1/8 teaspoon EA salt and prepared mustard

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl; mix well.

 

2021 ~ COOKATHON #1

https://jeastofeden.blogspot.com/2021/01/2021-cookathon-1.html

2020 COOKATHON #5

https://jeastofeden.blogspot.com/2020/10/2020-cookathon-5.html

No comments:

Post a Comment