Wedding Song - God Knew That I Needed You

Sunday, January 31, 2021

2021 ~ COOKATHON #1

I was up early this morning, so I decided to get busy making a few more freezer meals. These recipes are tasty, health conscious, and low in calories; and relatively thrifty … so, they work for me 😉

I still have a few freezer meals left (fish, pork, chicken, vegetarian), so I didn’t make a full week worth of meals this morning: I only made three beef themed meals … to add balance to the menu, and my diet. The meals I made today are an Indian (India) Stew with Indian (India) fried Bread; Greek Meatball dish with a creamy sauce, with a cheesy Orzo side dish; and one of my American standby meals – Steak Supper in Foil – just because I like it 😊

My homemade meals do not look like pictures posted in my cook books – I am not a fancy chef with high flautin ideals … I’m just a solo lobo widow, living in the PNW, that likes good food and tasty recipes.

I am posting the three recipes in their original writ … but, I make my meals quite a bit differently; I use my crockpot every chance I get, I half the ingredients since there is only 1 of me now, and I freeze the bulk of the meals for future weekly meals – so there is no beautiful table setting in my recipe pictures. I enjoy a variety of meals, tastes, and textures, so I do not always stick to original instructions (I do substitutions quite a bit): I use recipes as a guideline, but I cook for me 😊

If I change the way I cook meals – or if I make a substitution for an ingredient, I note that in my posts.

This recipe is a hardy Spiced Indian Beef Stew; paired with Basmati Rice, and flaky Indian triangular bread, known as Paratha (recipe follows).

I have posted the stew recipe as it was originally printed, but I made mine differently since I freeze my meals in portions for future meals. I made my stew in a crockpot, without the yogurt – I will add that later, when I eat my meal: this works for my needs.

==SPICED INDIAN BEEF STEW w-YOGURT ~ 6 servings

Seeds from 7 Cardamom pods * 1 whole Cove * 1/8 teaspoon Nutmeg * 1½ cups (about) plain low-fat Yogurt * 2¼ pounds boneless Chuck, fat trimmed, and cut into 1-inch cubes * 1 tablespoon Butter * 2 cups finely chopped white Onion * 1 tablespoon peeled & grated Ginger * 2 large cloves Garlic, pressed * ¾ teaspoon Coriander seeds * ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds * ¼ teaspoon ground Turmeric * ¾ teaspoon Salt * ground Black Pepper to taste * 1 cup plain low-fat Yogurt, stirred until smooth * minced fresh Cilantro

Finely grind first three ingredients in mortar with pestle, or spice grinder. Mix with 1 cup yogurt in a large bowl. Pat meat cubes dry and add to spiced yogurt; toss well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Melt butter in heavy deep nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion, ginger and garlic; cook until onion is translucent, stirring frequently – 10 to 12 minutes. Set aside.

Grind coriander, cumin, and turmeric to powder in mortar with pestle, or spice grinder. Sprinkle powder over meat mixture; toss to coat. Mix meat mixture into onion mixture. Add salt and season with pepper. Cover and cook 2 hours over low heat; stirring frequently. Uncover and cook until meat is tender; stirring frequently and adding up to ½ cup additional yogurt if mixture seems to dry – about 30 minutes more.

Spiced Indian Beef Stew ingredients. Cooked without yogurt - will add later.

Rub 2 ice cubes over surface of sauce to solidify fat: remove fat. Rewarm meat if necessary. Divide meat among heated plates. Drizzle 1 cup stirred yogurt over. Sprinkle with minced cilantro. Serve with rice, and paratha triangles (recipe follows).

Basmati Rice; I like the way it cooks up, smells, & tastes.
Spiced Indian Beef Stew & Basmati Rice portioned out into individual meals.
My Spiced Indian Beef Stew Supper w-note to add Yogurt.

Paratha Recipe: https://ministryofcurry.com/plain-parathas/

Paratha Dough. Indian fried flatbread. I used fine ground whole wheat flour, and cut the recipe in half; I do not need the full recipe.
Paratha dough divided into 6 balls.
Paratha fried. Indian flatbread.
Spiced Indian Beef Stew Meal & Paratha flatbread being prepped for freezer.

The sunny taste of Greece chases the gray from the PNW’s heavy cloud overhang, with Aunt Demetra’s garlicky meatballs with a light sauce. Serve these saucy meatballs with orzo (recipe follows), and a side of broccoli.

==AUNT DEMETRA’S MEATBALLS w-AVGOLEMONO SAUCE ~ 8 servings

Meatballs: 8 cups fresh Spinach leaves (about 2 bunches) * 1 teaspoon butter, melted * 3 slices White Bread * cold Water * 2½ pounds lean Hamburger * 2/3 cup dry Red Wine * 6 Garlic cloves, pressed * 1¼ teaspoon Salt * 1 teaspoon dried Oregano, crumbled * ground Black Pepper

Sauce: 1 Tablespoon Potato Starch or Cornstarch * 1½ cups Chicken Stock * ¼ cup strained fresh Lemon juice * 1 Egg yolk * Salt * Lemon peel julienne * minced fresh Parsley

For Meatballs: Steam spinach until just wilted. Drain well; chop. Toss spinach Toss spinach with butter in small bowl.

Spinach & butter mixture for meatball stuffing.

Soak bread in water until softened – about 30 seconds. Squeeze out liquid. Mix bread, hamburger, wine, garlic, salt, and oregano in a large bowl. Season with pepper. Shape mixture into sixteen 4½-inch-long, 1½-inch-wide ovals.

Shaping meatballs the regular way works best for me; mixture blended & divided into 8 meatballs = 4 meals.

Press finger into center of each, forming pockets. Divide spinach among pockets; press meat up and over spinach, enclosing completely. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover, and refrigerate).

Spinach mixture divided among the meatball portions.

Bring water to a boil in base of a vegetable steamer. Arrange meatballs, rounded side up, on steamer rack, spacing 1-inch apart. Reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook until meat is no longer pink inside – about 15 minutes.

Spinach enclosed; meatballs stuffed & ready for steaming.
Steaming meatballs; I found the steamer basket at a Summer Garage Sale ðŸ˜Š
Stuffed meatballs cooling: earlier steamed meatballs darken as they cool.
Multicolored Greek Orzo pasta; most orzo is plain, but I bought this, because I like the colorful pasta grains ;-)

Meanwhile, prepare sauce: Dissolve potato starch in ¼ cup stock in a heavy medium saucepan. Add remaining 1¼ cup stock, and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Mix in lemon juice. Whisk in stock mixture. Return to saucepan and stir over low heat until thickened – about 10 minutes. Season with salt.

Chicken Stock & Cornstarch being whisked.
Egg added and sauce whisked to thicken.
Orzo cooking while sauce thickens.

Arrange meatballs on a heated platter. Spoon sauce over. Garnish with lemon peel and parsley – serve.

I dipped meatballs into sauce to coat before putting the meals together.
Greek meatballs in sauce, Orzo pasta & Broccoli meals for the freezer.

Orzo Pilaf ~makes 4 servings

This microwaved risotto-inspired pilaf, dotted with scallion and peas, is a perfect side dish for beef or poultry – and is easy to prepare. Orzo is a good source of thiamin and niacin. There are also trace minerals and vitamins, such as B6, folate, iron and zinc.

*I omitted the peas because I rounded out my meal with broccoli. I also cooked my pasta instead of nuking it. I cooked the Orzo in 1 cup Water, for about 10 minutes. Then, I added the rest of the ingredients as directed in the original recipe below.*

1 cup reduced-sodium Chicken broth * 3 ounces Orzo pasta * 1 cup frozen Peas * 2 Tablespoons minced Scallion * 2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese * 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon reduced calorie margarine * 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper

In a 2½-quart casserole, combine broth, orzo and 1 cup water. Microwave, covered, on High for 6-7 minutes (mixture will come to a boil). Reduce power to Medium-High; stir – cook 2 minutes, and stir again. Cook 3-4 minutes longer, until orzo is almost tender; stir.

Add peas, scallion, Parmesan, margarine, and pepper. Let stand covered – 5-6 minutes – until liquid is absorbed and orzo is tender.

==STEAK SUPPER IN FOIL already posted to my Blog, last year: (https://jeastofeden.blogspot.com/2020/05/2020-cookathon-2.html)

The Steak Supper in Foil I baked today is the same recipe; different type of steak – and not packed for the freezer the same as I did it in May of last year 😉

Steak Supper in Foil. Meat & Veggies.
Steak Supper in Foil. Cooked.
Steak Supper in Foil. Portioned out for freezer w-Fruit Cocktail in a little foil cup.

And that’s it for now.

Time to get these meals in the freezer … and go fill the bird feeder 😉


No comments:

Post a Comment