Wedding Song - God Knew That I Needed You

Thursday, April 1, 2021

EARLY BIRD DAY

I started the morning bright and early – with lots of activities based in the kitchen: hummingbird nectar made/feeders hung on the front porch (leftover nectar stored in ‘fridge); lunch’s potato salad made; tonight’s fried clam supper just needs a quick toss of the green salad πŸ˜‰

I’ve not tried this potato salad recipe before … it was good 😊

Bacon-Flavored Potato Salad.

==BACON-FLAVORED POTATO SALAD ~ makes 2 servings

8 ounces small potatoes * 2 teaspoons Sesame or Vegetable Oil * ¼ cup Onion, diced * 2 teaspoons Imitation Bacon Bits * 2 teaspoons Red Wine Vinegar * Dash Sea Salt * Dash ground Black Pepper

Bacon-Flavored Potato Salad Ingredients.

In medium saucepan combine potatoes with enough water to cover; bring to a boil – cover, and reduce heat to medium & cook until potatoes are just tender, but not soft: about 10 minutes. Drain and allow to cool.

Heat il in small skillet; add onion and sautΓ© until tender; add bacon bits and cook 2 minutes longer.

Sauteing onion & bacon bits.

Peel potatoes, and cut into cubes. In a bowl gently toss potatoes with vinegar; add onion mixture, and seasonings – toss gently to combine.

Blending potatoes, vinegar & seasonings.
Adding onion and bacon bits.

Per serving: 145 calories; 3 g protein; 5 g fat; 22 g carbohydrate; 254 mg sodium

While the potato salad was cooling in the ‘fridge (not necessary, but I like it chilled), I fried the clams and put them in the ‘fridge to chill before I wrap them individually to freeze for future meals.

I bought these clams the other day when I was in Kelso. I also bought halibut steaks, and sea scallops – but tonight, I am eating clams for supper.

The clam bag stipulated ‘Quinault’, so these clams were harvested on Reservation Land. Bob & I clammed in Quinault when my mother was married to her second husband, who was a Native American.

I laid a large sheet of wax paper down on one end of the kitchen island. Then I broke eggs into a 2-quart casserole dish for easy dipping; I put a couple cups of bread crumbs in a glass pie dish for quick breading – and when I cut the clam bag open … my nose was wonderfully titillated πŸ˜‰

Getting ready to fry the clams ... enough for 8 meals.

Normally, I would double dip my clams in both the egg and crumbs. But, I am determined to shed at least 20 pounds this year, so I only dipped my clams once.

First, in the egg … then, in the crumbs: coat well with the crumbs.

Then I set my breaded clam on the wax paper; and continued with the other 7 in the same manner.

Clams only dipped once in the egg & crumbs; laid out on wax paper to 'set'.

Normally, I would also fry my clams in a good bit of oil: but, today, I coated my skillet with non-stick spray: and sprayed the clams, too, when I set them in the skillet – it works fine πŸ˜‰

3 fit my large deep-sided skillet comfortably …
Fried to a nice golden crisp on the breading.

When the clams were done, I transferred them to a large dinner plate, and layered 3 count between sheets of waxed paper: when they were all fried, I covered them with plastic wrap and put them in the ‘fridge; to cool before wrapping them individually for future meals – keeping one aside for tonight’s meal.


Clam layers separated by a sheet of wax paper.

Hummingbirds fed, my own meals out of the way … I called the seed company I ordered my garden seeds from in January; and asked when I can expect my seeds to arrive there were 6 backorder items that have not come in yet, but the rest should arrive shortly.

I ate my 1 fried clam with a tossed green salad (mixed greens, peas, cauliflower mushrooms), a few slices of red and green Bell Peppers, and peach slices on the side.

And I finished up that baby blanket I have been working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment