Wedding Song - God Knew That I Needed You

Thursday, April 8, 2021

SHORTIE DAY

It rained today, so since I was going to be indoors, I decided to shorten the legs of my Spring/Summer cropped leg pants – to a capri length; which suits my height and shape much better.

I am a shortie. 

Normal sized clothing hangs on me and makes me look like an aging dumpling.

Petite sized clothing is designed to fit pre-teen 8th graders who have not ‘blossomed’ yet: I am a mature woman … I have curves, like womanly breasts and hips. And my torso is practically non-existent (I have always been short waisted).

Finding clothing that fits me all over is a frustrating challenge. If I see a shirt or blouse, I like and would like to buy: the tail/hem hits my legs mid-thigh, making me look shorter than I already am – or it is too binding over my breasts, and tight in the shoulders. If I bump the size up so my breasts aren’t squished and I can breathe without popping buttons, it hangs everywhere else … making me look chubby and unkept. Ditto for jeans and skirts; jeans bunch over the tops of my shoes, and hems drag the ground (which was okay in my teen years – not so okay in my mid-60’s); again, if I find jeans that fit my leg length, they don’t fit in my hips (either too tight, or too baggy – it’s the short torso issue). And when I wear skirts, I feel like a medieval hobbit.

Most women love shopping for clothes: I dread the frustrating ordeal. Especially with the covid ridiculousness – fitting rooms are locked; and making numerous trips back to stores, returning items that don’t fit after I get them home and try them on, adds more frustration to an already vexing situation.

All week long I have been making alterations to tops and bottoms.

Today, it was hemming capri’s.

 
Cutting & hemming my Capri pant legs to fit my short legs.
Ditto for the black capri's ...

When I am grocery shopping and can't reach top shelves, or bend into the isle freezers easily … I scan the store for someone with a store badge to help me get what I need. If there are no badged people meandering the isles, I snag a tall guy and ask him if he would please help me (and then, I am hit with a sadness that my tall fella is no longer with me).

Even doing everyday things at home is challenging.

I was so thankful the guy who replaced the hissing master commode in 2019, noticed I’m a shortie – and put a new commode in that “fit” me: I almost cried with joy when my feet touched the floor!

No more suspended feet, with heels hitting the bowl base mid-mark 😊

(https://jeastofeden.blogspot.com/2019/03/yesterday-was-very-busy-day-here-house.html)

Even driving is complicated.

Bob was 6’2”; I am 5’2” – he needed a vehicle that would allow him to sit comfortably in it; I needed a vehicle that would allow seat adjustment for my short legs to reach the petals … and to move me forward enough I could see beyond the dash board. He had a pickup 4x4, and I had compact cars that had adjustable seats; and enough head room that when Bob was with me, cramped into a small space, his neck didn’t get crimped by the low roof.

The seat belt Law really chafed me in more ways than one – not only is it governmental overreach when it comes to adults: but the seat belt straps really rubbed my neck skin off and made my shoulders ache, until cars started making adjustable belts. But even that adjustment is not workable for me: In the 80’s, I bought a seat belt positioner that slips over the seat belt and allows the shoulder strap to rest comfortably on my shoulder and across my breast area. It’s actually for kids, but it works great for me!

 

After I had finished hemming my capri pants, I ate a light fish supper.

Supper; Fish w-Mushroom Stuffing; Steamed Asparagus; Green Salad w-radish & avocado - Basic Vinaigrette Dressing.

Following supper, I finished up 3 pairs of booties for my donation preemie baby items – I am not talking about babies born 2 weeks early, that arrive weighing normal baby size. I am making baby things for honest-to-God-preemies that weight 4 pounds and under, when they are born. Baby items for these tiny babies are nearly impossible to find … and they cost a king’s ransom when they are available.

(https://jeastofeden.blogspot.com/2021/02/energetic-weekend.html & https://jeastofeden.blogspot.com/2021/03/life-unfolding.html)

 I still have to make up a white pair (that will give me something to do tomorrow 😉).

Preemie Booties.

No comments:

Post a Comment