Wedding Song - God Knew That I Needed You

Friday, April 19, 2019

OUR FIRST DATE - Reflections



Was 45 years ago today.

It wasn’t fancy … it didn’t need to be; we aren’t fancy people.

It started out with a drive to a country Cemetery where I asked Bob to take me so I could put fresh flowers on my cousin’s grave – Tim had died recently and we were close; almost like siblings more than cousins. Bob indulged me. He indulged me for weeks – he was that kind of man. Then we helped my friends, Debbie and her boyfriend Walt, move into their apartment: again, Bob was a good sport and rolled with the change of plans by which he was drafted to help with that move. After everything was moved from vehicle to apartment, we visited for a while before we went to Pietro’s for pizza and Lowenbrau beer; I was underage (17 yo) but never carded when I was with Bob … everyone figured if I was with my 24 yo 6’2” gentle giant, I was old enough: after we married and a baby followed, age was kinda irrelevant all things considered. Funny thing was that years later after I turned 21, BOB WAS CARDED and I was not! Not sure to this day how to take that one … but we continued to laugh about that incident for decades. Pietro’s was {our} special place for years, and Bruno the bartender knew us so well, he would start pouring the Lowenbrau’s from the beer tap and chatting with us as soon as we entered the pizza parlor: when he left Pietro’s to start his own pizza parlor appropriately named, Bruno’s … we followed and took our business there: Bruno knew our children and grandchildren by name – we continued to frequent Bruno’s until he retired 10 years ago.

Every day with my gentle giant was a day I always felt blessed.

And loved and cherished. Unconditionally.

But our 1st date 45 years ago today was special. It kick-started a lifetime of love that will never end (https://jeastofeden.blogspot.com/2019/04/magic-man.html).

Even though Bob’s physical presence is no longer with me (https://jeastofeden.blogspot.com/2018/12/widowhood.html), he is always with me.

Always.

I love you, Babe.

Always.

OX

No comments:

Post a Comment