Wedding Song - God Knew That I Needed You

Saturday, July 25, 2020

2020 COOKATHON #3A


This cookathon is a bit lengthier than my others because it’s done in two-day’s-time instead of one; but most of the recipes are short and quick. It’s really too hot to cook right now, but eating is a necessity … and I prefer my own cooking: my cooking is tastier and healthier (MHO); and more economical ;-)

That said, I will admit that summer months are my junk food months – a few quick noodle meals … and a couple pickup/takeout orders … mingled with my homestyle freezer meals.

So, with that admission in mind, I did spend some time in the kitchen pulling together a few easy meals that wouldn’t keep me bent over a hot stove and lead to heat stroke … and by my estimations, the meals in the Cookathon Combo (#3B Meals post follows this post) should take me through the end of August; God willing :-D

I cooked a turkey/ham dish (I used a smoked turkey drumstick); a fish dish (I used Tilapia; but Cod, haddock, or Scrod will do as well); a simple kielbasa & potato skillet meal; and fried hamburgers.

BAKE THE TURKEY LEG (I used a pre-cooked smoked drumstick) before preparing and cooking the kielbasa/potato skillet meal: the turkey leg can cool while the skillet meal cooks. Bake the turkey leg as follows: (1) Preheat oven to 250-degrees Fahrenheit (2) Place the drumstick in an oven pan sufficient to hold the drumstick without crowding the pan’s dimensions … and deep enough to hold the meat drippings, as well as baking water – add a dash of water or broth to the pan (3) Bake for 2 hours; rotating the pan occasionally – until the meat tests at an internal temperature of 155-degrees on a meat thermometer.

Baking turkey drumstick.

==The KIELBASA & POTATO SKILLET MEAL is very simple and easy to pull together – for me, I just sliced half a kielbasa ring into thin rounds … peeled, and quartered about 3 medium potatoes: put the potato pieces into a medium skillet, and add water to cover the potatoes – season if you desire seasoning (I usually add butter, and salt and pepper when I mash my potatoes). Cover and cook over medium heat. When potatoes are fork ready, add the kielbasa pieces and steam with the potatoes, until heated through. That’s it! Easy-peasy. Serve with a dinner roll, green beans, and a fruit. I got 2 nice sized meal portions out of this – 1 I ate, 1 I froze. **Adjust the amount of kielbasa and potatoes to fit your family needs.

Wash and dry the skillet for the fish dish (recipe follows below).

Remove the turkey meat from the leg bone and dice. I already had diced ham meat thawed – if you don’t have diced ham at your fingertips, you will need to cook a slice of ham and dice it for the recipe (follows below).

I prepared and baked the turkey/ham casserole, and the fish dish simultaneously.

==HAM ‘N’ TURKEY CASSEROLE ~ makes 2 servings

Noodles may differ slightly, but typically, for extra-wide egg noodles, a 2 oz. serving = 1¼ cups of dry egg noodles; which will yield approximately 1½ cups cooked noodles.

HAM ‘N’ TURKEY CASSEROLE


4 ounces skinned, boned, and diced cooked Turkey * 3 ounces cooked, diced Ham * 1 cup cooked enriched extra-wide Noodles, medium width * ½ cup diced Bell Pepper * 1/3 cup nonfat dry Milk powder * 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh Parsley * 2 teaspoons grated Parmesan Cheese * 1/8 teaspoon ground Black Pepper

Ham bits thawed and weighed.
Cubed baked turkey meat weighed.

Preheat oven to 400-degrees. In a bowl, combine all ingredients; mix thoroughly.

Ham & Turkey Casserole being mixed together …

Transfer to a 7 x 5½ x 2-inch casserole that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Bake until heated thoroughly – about 25 to 30 minutes.

Ham and Turkey Casserole Meal w-Broccoli, Mixed veggies, & 2 small Rolls.

==BAKED FISH w-MUSHROOM -WINE SAUCE ~ 2 servings

If you do not have dry Vermouth, there are several alternative substitutions you can use: non-alcoholic white wine, white grape juice, or white wine vinegar.

Baked Fish in Mushroom Sauce.

BAKED FISH w-MUSHROOM -WINE SAUCE

2 teaspoons Margarine * 1 cup chopped Mushrooms * 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice * 1 small Garlic clove, minced * dash Salt/Pepper * 10 ounces Fish fillets * ¼ cup EA green scallions and dry Vermouth * 1 Tablespoon chopped, fresh Parsley (optional)

Fish fillets thawed and weighed.
I used Chanterelle mushrooms precooked in butter; thawed.

Preheat oven to 400-degrees. In a small skillet heat margarine until bubbly and hot; add mushrooms, lemon juice, garlic, and seasonings; sauté over high heat, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated.

Mushroom sauce cooking; Bob always liked eating mushrooms - I wish he were here to enjoy these fleshy Chantrelle's.

Place fish in a 1-quart casserole and top with mushroom mixture, scallions, and vermouth …

Meals ready for the oven (I cooked the turkey casserole & fish dish at the same time) – same oven temp; different cooking times.

… bake until fish is opaque and flakes easily when tested with a fork – about 10 minutes. If desired, sprinkle with parsley just before serving.

Baked Fish w-Mushroom Sauce w-Spinach & piece of Baguette Bread.


½ cup shredded Cheddar Cheese * 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise * 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce * ½ teaspoon Salt * ½ teaspoon prepared Mustard * ¼ teaspoon ground Black Pepper

Mix all ingredients. Shape into 6 patties.

Heat skillet … or grill to medium high heat. Cook patties, turning once, to desired doneness – about 10minutes.

Peppy Cheese Hamburgers. Frying patties.
Peppy Cheese hamburgers; cooled, wrapped in foil & ready for the freezer. When I want to eat one, I’ll thaw it out and bake it with the French fries I’ll eat with it ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment