Wedding Song - God Knew That I Needed You

Wednesday, March 3, 2021

LIFE UNFOLDING

Tomorrow it is supposed to start raining again, so today I did as much outside as I could to get my Spring tasks underway.

This morning, I thought I’d drive to the Four Corner’s Farm & Garden Store in Castle Rock, to buy a few seed potatoes and a container of Sluggo Slug Bait; before I tackled tidying up the stored geraniums.

The early morning drive was nippy, and foggy:

While, still on Ocean Beach Highway, I remembered that a friend had told me about a nursery on 44th, so I thought I’d check that tip out …

The nursery itinerary wasn’t what I am in the market for – it specializes in landscaping items: I need vegetable garden items.

I’ll continue driving to Adna, to purchase what I need; I actually like the country backroads drive to Adna, so the lengthy drive is a win-win situation, as far as I am concerned 😊

Topping the upper end of Virginia Way, the fog had lifted – and not a minute too soon, either: a doe was standing close to the road, munching grass. Deer can be testy creatures, and nearly impossible to see when shrouded by a fog bank. Thankfully, the fog had dissipated for clear vision … and the doe didn’t startle:

It was clear vision driving all the way over Virginia Way, Nevada Drive, and West Side Highway through Lexington – nearing Sandy Bend, though, the fog was laying low and heavy …

Thick fog patch on West Side Highway, near Sandy Bend.

A Truck was creeping up on my slow-moving bumper; so, I pulled over the first chance I got, and let him zip past me; I was in no hurry to get to Castle Rock, and the rest of the day was scheduled to operate in slo-mo πŸ˜‰

When I arrived at Four Corners Farm & Garden Store, I was told the seed potatoes’ arrival has been delayed; so, I will have to go back to Castle Rock next week. But I did bring home the slug bait 😊

The weather had warmed up to about 50-degrees, so I settled back for a relaxing drive: when I reached the top end of Nevada Drive, I decided to take the Lone Oak Road home, instead of retracing Virginia Way to Old Pacific Highway (my normal route). Lone Oak is a twisting snaky road, but it is a nice country drive that would drop me close to Coal Creek – seconds from home.

Midway along the road, I came upon three robins skipping down the center line; it made me smile. I always smile when I see robins: peppy robins herald the onset of Spring … and seeing one, make my feet itch to get outside and embrace all that life is birthing in this new Spring season πŸ˜‰

Nevada Drive from Four Corner's Farm & Garden Store, Castle Rock, WA. 14 minutes.
Columbia Heights Road from Nevada Drive Road, Longview. 3 minutes.
Heron Pointe from Lone Oak Road, Longview, WA. 9 minutes

When I got home, I pulled the geranium pots from their overwintering storage, to start trimming the dried parts back to lively green growth. But first, I needed to sharpen the vintage pruning clippers (these are my favored clippers, but they have not been attended to in 3 years). I had watched Bob sharpen knives and my garden tools for decades – but his youngest brother, Kerry, explained how to do this last year when I asked him how it was done.

While going through the motions, I drew the first blood of this Spring season when the bottom jaw of the dull and rusty clippers jumped the file and bit me – the jaw blade wasn’t sharp, but it did jab me and pierce skin. By the time I got back outside, the small bubble of blood had stopped oozing:

Sharpening Garden Clippers. 10:38 AM - home.
First gardening wound of the season. LOL
Making the bottom jaw's bite sharper ...

The weather by then had inched up to 59-degrees, but it was a chilly 59-degrees. The sun was shining, and the sky was free of clouds; but it was not really a ‘warm Spring day’, yet.

It was, however, an enjoyable Spring day 😊 

I got the geraniums tidied up, lightly fertilized, and slug baited; and set out in the breezeway to rejuvenate them …

Overwintered geranium's trimmed, fertilized & sprinkled with Sluggo.
All the geraniums have been tended to ... and set in the breezeway to ‘wake up’ in a protective environment.
Herbs putting out new growth, Daffodils blooming, & Tiger Lilies planted.

And I met my new backyard neighbor – and we visited over the fence; she seems like a nice lady. She as widowed 8 months ago, and she moved here three months ago, from Yakima.

Yakima to Heron Pointe.3 hr. - 21 min.

Tired, and feeling accomplished, I settled into Bob’s recliner when I got back inside … and enjoyed a phone convo with my BIL, Rick (my sister Iris’s husband), as well as the vociferous honking of geese flying over the house:

Noisy flock of geese flying the airway, right over my head ... 4:23 PM 

And I finished up two more preemie baby gowns …

Preemie Baby Gown; 4 pounds, or less. Knit.

Today was a promising and productive day; full of life unfolding 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment