Wedding Song - God Knew That I Needed You

Wednesday, September 18, 2019

I'M BUSY LOVING YOU


I love the Grass Roots – every one of their songs speak to my heart.

But one song in particular, “Live For Today” took on a whole new meaning in 1977.

In 1977, Bob broke his leg and had to have reconstructive surgery on it – when he went into surgery, the doctor was up front with me, and said, “If no one comes out to talk to you after 8 hours, we have had to amputate the leg.”

So, at 20 years od age, I was facing the very real possibility of telling my husband he was a cripple when he was wheeled into his hospital room following surgery.

Bob was at that time, only 27 years old.

8 hours came and went.

I heard from no one.

I refused to cry – I prayed.

I prayed for strength to be strong for my husband.

I prayed for strength FOR my husband.

I prayed nonstop through the night and into the early morning hours.

When the surgeon finally came through the door and into the waiting room, I jumped to my feet.

I was scared. Tears filled my eyes.

But I refused to cry.

I had to be strong.

The surgeon walked over t me, and said, “It took a long time because we called a special team together to work on your husband’s leg … we were able to save it.”

I CRIED!

Tears of relief. Tears of gratitude. Tears of thankfulness for Elohim’s faithfulness, despite the stupidity that put us here in this moment.

Weeks later – even with the blood thinner being administered to him every day while his leg healed - a blood clot broke loose and KILLED HIM RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME while I was visiting him at the hospital: an orderly walking past us saw what was happening and called Code. It was scary seeing my husband lift off his bed about a foot (or more) while they jump-started his heart that day.

This was Bob's 1st death (he had come close to death in a house fire as a toddler - and would die again for 25 minutes in 1981: his final death would take place December 14th, 2018).

And when he finally was able to safely come home, our mantra and new motto was: “Let others plan their futures … I’m busy loving you.”


Us, September 1977.

We never wasted a single day after that close call with the Grim Reaper.

We literally lived and loved “in the moment” because we understood that from that day forward, every day was a real blessing. And we weren’t going to waste them with worry πŸ˜‰

No comments:

Post a Comment