Wedding Song - God Knew That I Needed You

Friday, March 23, 2018

MOD BRIGHT STRIPED DISHTOWEL – Wide


With my husband home all the time now since retirement I have come to realize that the kitchen needs to be outfitted with dishtowels and dishrags that will fit his big hands since he is helping with the breakfast (I have never been a breakfast person, so he and the kids are pretty much on their own in this regard) and the occasional lunch cleanup when I am otherwise occupied.

So since he is such a good sport, I have decided to repay the favor by designing and making up dishtowels and dishcloths that fit him; they are really too large for my little hands, but I’ve had it my way in the kitchen for 43 years … this is a small price to pay for the help he now lovingly offers.

I made this first towel/rag set out of leftover balls of cotton yarns I had on hand. I figure each ball used for the dishtowel was a third of the 4-oz. super-size Sugar ‘n Cream yarns. Any colors will work, these are the ones I had in my yarn bag. For the dishrag, I started with a new skein of yarn for the main color and 2 small balls of leftovers for the contrast edging. I used a pair of #10 American needles for both the towel and rag.

The dishtowel took a few days to complete – the dishrag 1 night. This towel will look ridiculously large when completed, but in actuality it is the same length as a regular store bought dishtowel … and about an 1-1/2 wider on both sides.

Stitches Used:

Rice Stitch – Row 1: *K1, p1* across. Row 2: As row 1.

St. st: Row 1: K across. Row 2: P across.

MOD BRIGHT STRIPED DISHTOWEL – Wide


With blue, CO 76 sts and work 7 rows of Rice st. DO NOT CHANGE COLOR. Work an additional 10 rows in st.st.

Change to green and work 5 rows st. st.

Change to pink and work in st. st.

This pattern established, follow it in such manner: 5 g – 10 b – 5 g – 10 p – 5 g – 10 b – 5 g – 10 p – 5 g – 10 b – 7 b Rice st. and BO last row.

Though the dishcloth pattern I used is at least 35 years old clipped from the local newspaper when they did such things back in the ‘good ‘ole days’ (hahaha), my head is about to explode with sinus pressure so instead of spending more time than necessary with my head bent over the keyboard and pressure making my eyes throb even more, I will just refer you to an internet site featuring the same pattern – the only difference being that I have used 2 contrast colors along the edges; just add them to the increase row that will give you 5 sts and keep tracking the CC up the sides as you work the dishcloth: very simple to do. Dishcloth Pattern can be found at this link: https://www.allfreeknitting.com/Dish/Traditional-Garter-Stitch-Dishcloth

No comments:

Post a Comment