Wedding Song - God Knew That I Needed You

Monday, April 18, 2022

FIRST DATE PROTOCOL

The radio hosts were lively this morning 😉

One of the topics touched on was 1st Date protocol.

Bob was my 1st ‘Grownup Date’; he was a full-grown man – with full-grown traits.

Everyone has a differing opinion; and a lot of things come into play, so there really isn’t a hard-and-fast strategy in the game of dating. That said, Bob loving me, taught me a lot about relationship interaction that I didn’t know about until he came into my life and showed me that I was special; and worthy of special treatment.

My first date with Bob was a mixed happening: Bob was a courtly gentleman in appearance, character, actions, and mannerisms – I wasn’t used to any of that: I was raised in a very liberal atmosphere in my mother’s home. I was used to shaggy looking fellas; with loose, care-free lifestyles that bordered on lazy narcissism with capitol L’s and N’s. And, in all fairness … I was an individualist individual with very overt feminist opinions, feeling in all ways equal to males except in physical strength, which there is no realistic way of getting around 😉

When Bob called me Monday evening to ask if I’d be free to step out with him, Friday evening, I told him I would be … and that he could, “honk the horn, and I’ll be right out.” That, I was used to.

When Bob showed up at my mother’s house Friday evening – he actually climbed the 3 porch steps and knocked on the door: that, I was not used to. And that small, but significant action, warmed my little liberated feminist heart –😊

Bob was a gentleman - and he treated me like his “Lady”, from the get-go.

When we had finished our Supper, I told Bob that I would pay my half of the tab; he was ready to politely argue the point (and he could also see that I was ready to stand my ground on the issue); we good-naturedly agreed to disagree, and move forward. Bob allowed space in our 1st Date for my teenage ‘line in the sand’ moment. I had stolen his thunder: and he was gracious enough to let that slide.

But Bob had shown himself to be a thoughtful and willing payer (again, something I was not used to): that courteous thoughtfulness and willingness, won him kudo points with me.

I couldn’t settle for less, now: MPO is that a guy should at least offer to pay, and if the offer doesn’t arise – there will be no repeat with the deadbeat.

Dating is not game-playing with me: I'm not interested in high school games ... even in High School, I wasn't interested in high school booty-call-'dating' games; I didn't date at lot before Bob because I wouldn't play the required dating games (back seat grab-n-dodge "owed" because of a greasy hamburger; kiss-n-tell wrestling matches, ect.).

Bob taught me what a grown-up, adult, relationship is.

Bob taught me what a caring, thoughtful, generous, loving relationship is.

Over the years, I learned to appreciate Bob's gentlemanly manners & attitude.

Would I let Bob pay for our 1st Date Supper, if I could replay that 1st Date moment? I don’t know – and it’s silly to speculate: it’s done. But, I can say, that if I were to start dating now … there would be no question: THE FELLA WOULD PAY 😉

I stopped having truck with deadbeats in 1974 – I have no intention of taking up with slackers in 2022.

No comments:

Post a Comment