Wedding Song - God Knew That I Needed You

Monday, January 1, 2018

POT ROAST OF BEEF w-CRANBERRY SAUCE

I wanted to cook a fancy beef roast for my birthday supper (Hubs like meat meals and I wanted festivity), but the freezer was short on that particular item (aka: NO roasts left), so I grabbed a large chuck steak and used that instead and cut back on the cooking time. I also, as usual, used my crockpot because I ruin meat any other way. No joke. I have been cooking for 43 years and STILL cannot serve a decent meat meal from the cook range top or from the oven. If my family is going to eat a palatable meal, it has got to be cooked either in my crockpots (I have 1 for every size required; LOL), or from my electric skillet.

And I really do not have time to spend in the kitchen all day long: I am a busy woman with my crafting and teaching our little prince. Lately the crafting has fallen by the wayside too, but that’s okay – babies grow up and start to pull away, so there is only a limited window of teaching opportunities available before they begin to glean lessons from others; but the yarn will always be around later on ;-) Right now, baby boy is wanting to learn and this ‘gamma’ is willing, so he takes precedence over everything and everyone at the moment.

Anyway, getting back to this recipe … it is G.O.O.D!

This is the first time I’ve made this dish and Hubs had requested that I do repeats :-D

I concur ;-)

I am posting the original recipe, so if you are a small family lie we are with 2 adults & 1 small child, just half the ingredients.

And baby boy’s home education curriculum Units are finally DONE!

(https://jeastofeden.blogspot.com/2018/01/brunswick-stew.html) Thank Adonai ;-) There are now 16 Home Education Files completed with MOD stories and themed Units I put together from various gleaned internet sources.

Now the fun begins …

2018 is going to be a blast :-D

POT ROAST OF BEEF w-CRANBERRY SAUCE – Serves 8-10

5 pounds chuck beef, boned & rolled (or bottom round roast) – 4 Tablespoons fat (I used bacon drippings saved) – 2 cups homemade Cranberry sauce (or 1 canned) – 3 cloves (or 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves) – 1 onion, chopped – 1 cup water – Sat & ground Black Pepper – 4 – 6 Tablespoons flour – 4 Tablespoons butter

In a large Dutch Oven pot, melt the fat and sear the beef on all sides. Add cranberry sauce, cloves, onion, water, and salt & pepper. Combine flour and butter and add to pot. Simmer covered for 3 hours (or until beef is tender)

Pour off liquid, cook down until it thickens. If not rich enough, add a little extra butter.

CROCKPOT VERSION: In a large skillet, melt the fat and sear the beef on all sides. Set aside.

Beef Roast w-Cranberry Sauce. Bacon fat.
Beef Roast w-Cranberry Sauce. Meat.
Beef Roast w-Cranberry sauce. Mashing the canned sauce while meat sears; sent Hubs to grocery store to get foil …
Beef Roast w-Cranberry Sauce. Searing the meat.

Place in crockpot: cranberry sauce, cloves, onion, water, and salt & pepper. Combine flour and butter and add to pot. Cook on LOW for about 5 hours (or until beef is tender).

Beef Roast w-Cranberry Sauce. Onions.
Beef Roast w-Cranberry Sauce. First meat layer.

Beef Roast w-Cranberry Sauce. Stacked meat layer.
CHOCOLATE! My husband brought this back with the foil; he knows how to keep me happy. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment