Wedding Song - God Knew That I Needed You

Friday, November 4, 2022

SHABBAT

I’ve spent the past week in a busy whirl between home and family dustups; the busy whirl at home was to get my home ready for company … and I was really looking forward to that – no one has been inside my house for a lengthy visit since the covid lockdowns that scared everyone into staying away But family dustup dramas found me canceling the get together with gal pals, to try to mediate peace amongst the family brats members.

The dustup is still not settled; but my house is cleared of clutter, and ready to ride the Fall and Winter out in relative tidiness πŸ˜‰

And I’m finding myself easing back into gentle home routines I have let slide since widowhood, and the busy need to rebuild an entire new life. This Fall, it has actually been pleasurable to let my days unfold gently; and I’ve even caught myself more than once, soaking up the quiet and comforting homey vibes I’ve been avoiding for the past three years.

Things are flowing easier, and I have friendships – local, and spanning two other Counties – that have taken root, and are prospering quite nicely.

Elohei has been very good to me 😊

While I was in town earlier this week, I saw (and bought) a bottle of Mogen David Concord Wine. It’s a very sweet kosher red wine. I bought it because I wanted something different – and also because it was a wine that was always in my parent’s home every Friday evening. When Bob and I were dating (and even after we married), and were out on the town shooting pool on Friday evenings … I’d always order a glass of Mogen David wine. Bob would grimace and ask me ‘why do you want that?’; and I always answered, “My parents always drank it on Fridays.” There were other signs that pointed to our Jewish roots such as special Friday meals, and the burning of Friday night candles – but I didn’t really know until well into my 30’s that both parents have a Jewish branch in their family genealogy records: Ashkenazi on one side, and Sephardic, on the other.

Anyway, I bought the wine and am drinking a goblet tonight πŸ˜‰

I admit it’s an acquired taste: it’s very sweet.

There is nothing special about Shabbat wine, other than it is a sanctified symbol of joy and relaxation; so, sipping my small goblet of wine is a reminder to me, to always find a way to savor joy – and always find reasons for gratitude each week.

On Shabbat, we have the opportunity to appreciate the many blessings and wonderful people in our life.

On Shabbat, we also take the time to reflect on Elohim’s goodness towards us – as we think about the things of this past week, we’re leaving behind … and those things we look forward to, in the week to come.

So, tonight as I listen to the rainfall kick off the Fall Season here in the PNW, I am thankful I am adopted into the Family of God. I am grateful for all the blessings Elohim has showered me with. I am going to enjoy reading a new read … knit some love into a new baby item … and slowly enjoy my sweet wine. These small pleasures bring such a lot of joy into my days, and finish the week very nicely 😊

SHABBAT SHALOM!

2 comments: