Wedding Song - God Knew That I Needed You

Thursday, August 15, 2019

FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE, I'LL BE LOVING YOU


It started out simple, that night of April 19th, 1974.
We were both free agents, out for a good time ... neither one of us looking for a permanent arrangement when Bob made that phone call to say, “I’d really like to see you tonight ..."
I had fallen in love with Bob 7 years earlier, when I was 10 years old, and had finally got to know him face to face 2 weeks earlier at his house - where my boyfriend at the time, was renting a room: Doug inadvertently threw Bob & I together (https://jeastofeden.blogspot.com/2019/04/magic-man.html); but I didn’t want to jinx our time together by wishing upon a star; and he was dealing with betrayal and the severing of a marriage: the very thought of ((((love)))) was something we both were sidestepping.
We started spending time together: "no strings", was the mindset.
A month later it got complicated.
The more time we spent together made us realize we were hopelessly in love with each other.
Love was blossoming and it was recklessly taking root.
We danced around the "L Word" ... Bob was still legally married, though he and Gloria had not lived together as man and wife since November 1973.
A divorce was in progress, but Bob was not yet, "legally free".
By the first week of July, Bob WAS free; and we openly spoke the L Word.
We were married the end of August.
And though Bob never changed my life too much - he DID CHANGE it in all the ways that mattered: he loved me wholly, without reservation, and without slipping a constraining leash on me.
And because he allowed me to be free, I restrained myself in the areas that I knew needed curbed to keep our marriage on track; and to have Bob's back.
Because he never demanded ... I gladly submitted.
Bob wore mighty big shoes.
I am in no hurry to slip someone else's feet into them - there will NEVER BE another Bob.

No comments:

Post a Comment