Wedding Song - God Knew That I Needed You

Tuesday, March 19, 2019

CUFFED STRETCHY RIBBED HOSPITAL BABY HAT Pattern



Is a gorgeous day and the sky is robin-egg-blue with sparse thin clouds in the far distance. Birds are chirping and it feels like Spring is quietly settling in: last night, about 8:30 p.m., while walking home from a Craft Meet at the Club House it was pleasantly warm at 70-degrees – it felt good. And it was difficult to remember that surprise snowflakes were falling just a short week and a half ago!

I am still recovering from my bout with influenza, and while not contagious, I am still a bit weak and wheezing – but at least I have a full-up inhaler now (I finally broke down and had a friend drive me into ER a few days ago), so breathing is not so difficult or painful anymore. And another friend dropped of a 2-pack DayQuil/NiteQuil the other day which helps with the coughing. Hopefully sometime this week this thing will move along and pester someone else:


While I have been laid up this past month, I worked up some more little baby hospital hats. I had been saving a horde of baby fingering yarn that Bob found for me a few years ago at a Bazaar event we were participating at in Winlock, but since none of our granddaughters 28, 23, and 21 feel inclined to give us great-grandchildren to carry our bloodline into the next generation; and our grandson is only 4 years old and I will be with Bob in the great celestial city beyond the clouds by the time he reaches maturity, there seems to be no real point to continue hoarding the yarn … and making these little hats for the hospital donation foundation would make Bob smile if he were here.

This little hat pattern is not one of my own … I found it doing an internet search for hospital donation items. If I am going to spend countless hours making a donation item for a needy purpose, I want it to be something that will actually be appreciated and used. This little ribbed hat is an item hospitals across the USA ask for and recipients enjoy :-D

I am posting the original pattern without any changes whatsoever; and I am adding pictures of my work as I followed the pattern:

Cuffed Stretchy Ribbed Newborn Hat (worked in the round)
(sized for normal weight newborn baby)

Sport-weight Yarn
Size 6 double pointed needles

Cast on 68 stitches, placing stitches on 3 dpns (24, 20, 24). Join in the round.**


Work Knit 2, Purl 2 ribbing for 6 inches.

Start decreasing:
*Knit 2 together, Purl 2 together* repeat from * for the entire round.
(34 stitches on needles now)

Knit one round.

Knit 2 together around.
(17 stitches on needles now)

Knit one round.

Knit 2 together around.
(9 stitches remaining, including the one stitch left over)

Cut yarn about 6 inches from knitting, then attach yarn needle. Sew the yarn through all 9 stitches, then pull tight.


Thread needle to the inside of the hat, then weave in loose ends.

Give your stretchy hat to the hospital!

STRETCHY BABY HOSPITAL HAT AS IT WOULD LOOK ON BABY
STRETCHY BABY HOSPITAL HAT - CROWN VIEW

No comments:

Post a Comment