Wedding Song - God Knew That I Needed You

Friday, March 23, 2018

MOD MOCK HOUNDSTOOTH DISHTOWEL – Wide


This hand knit dishtowel set followed shortly after the first worked up. This one is a bit more intricate, but fairly simple to work up. Again, it is about 1 inch wider than the normal store bought kitchen towel … but it is approximately the same size in length when completed.

For this towel set I used a little over 2/3’s of a Dark and a Light 4-oz. skein of Sugar ‘n Cream cotton yarns and a bit of leftover White Sugar ‘n Cream cotton yarn for highlight. And I used the rest of the yarns to make a matching dishrag. I used #10 American Needles for both towel and rag.

I made this set for two reasons – one being because my other sadly frayed store-bought dishtowels and hand knitted dishrags need replaced; the second being as a favor to my husband who has large hands that just do not do well with the scaled back dishcloths I reworked to fit my little petite hands – since he is generously helping me with kitchen detail, I feel it only fair that I should make things easier for him to make things easier for me ;-)

STITCHES USED:

Bamboo Stitch: Row 1 - *Wrap yarn over needle to make 1, k 2, pass wrap st over 2 sts* across row. Row 2 & alternate rows - P.

Mock Houndstooth Stitch: Row 1 – Dark, *sl 1 purlwise, k 2*. Row 2 – Dark, p. Row 3 – Light, *k 2, sl 1 purlwise*. Row 4 – P.

MOD MOCK HOUNDSTOOTH DISHTOWEL – Wide


With Dark, CO 76 sts and work 9 rows in Bamboo St. DO NOT CUT YARN; carry it up the sides as you work knit side of work.

Attach White, and work 2 rows garter st. Cut White.

Work Houndstooth pattern for 106 rows. Cut Light yarn.

Attach White, and work 2 rows garter st. Cut White.

Work 2 rows st st and then 7 rows Bamboo st pattern. BO last row loosely in garter st.

I worked the dishcloth using an old newspaper clipping pattern, but it is exactly the same pattern as shown on this internet site (pattern following); I alternated the colors for a striped effect to match the towel. Dishcloth Pattern can be found at this link: https://www.allfreeknitting.com/Dish/Traditional-Garter-Stitch-Dishcloth

No comments:

Post a Comment