Wedding Song - God Knew That I Needed You

Thursday, September 22, 2022

SEEING RED - In A Good Way 😊

Fall comes around every year … and so does Fall prep. This Fall, the front porch steps needed attention; they were painted in the Spring of 2019, but foot traffic has scarred them and that needed to be tended.

I’ve been procrastinating with the task.

I don’t like people watching me – but here, at Heron Pointe, where houses are literally within a stone’s throw from each other there’s no way to avoid someone watching every move you make. It’s unnerving.

This morning I had to ignore the busybodies and just “get to it!”

So, I gave myself a few pep talks while I drank my morning coffee … then I got the leftover paint from the shed and got busy.

I also wanted to overwinter the garden hose in the shed, so I would need the wheel barrow (the hose basket is bulky to heft and carry); so, I loaded the wheelbarrow with the paint can, a broom (to sweep the steps clean), and a heavy-duty hammer maul … then I moved the geranium bins so I could get through the breezeway with the wheelbarrow.

Overwintering bins for my geranium collection.

I had noticed the other day while lifting the geranium pots from the porch steps, that the top step board looked like it was starting to pull away, so I thought I’d hammer it back onto place before I started painting.

Poor craftmanship - I never noticed this before today.

That was not as easy as assumed it would be! I struck with force several times (I have mentioned in several posts that I am not a gentle person)but the hammer just bounced back; and the spent energy was useless The board was not budging.

The hammer just bounced off - the board never moved at all.

So, I placed the hammer back in the wheelbarrow … opened the paint can, stirred the paint, and got busy. Whoever was peeking out their window to see what the widow was up to, had a pretty good view of my jean-clad-ass-end for a half hour.

Just paint touch-ups today, so rot doesn't set in.
Much better.

The steps weren’t the only things that needed refreshing: while the steps dried, I switched out the Summer-themed porch decors to Fall updates – and I trashed the owl rug. It no longer {fits}.

This porch rug was tossed ... it no longer fits my life.
Harvest Wreath & Harvest Welcome sign; front porch.
Scarecrow Rug; moved to the carport porch.

And the coho bench will be sold. The bench no longer {fits} either: I bought the bench for Bob … and Bob is no longer here. I have been sitting on it, but in all honesty, it is just taking up space; and I am not comfortable having it around. I know that sounds silly, but that’s the long and short of the situation. So, it has got to go. I am pretty confident that it will quickly find new home, to be appreciated by a new family.

The bench represents Bob, and as much as Bob is still very much part of my life – he is not here, he will never be here again, and I have got to move on with my life. The bench will be replaced with something that fits my personality: something new for a New Life.

It has taken a loooong time for me to come to this point; I am “moving forward” in ways that make sense to me.

2 comments:

  1. Porch looks great Val. I'm glad you are able to move forward, sometimes it takes time and that's okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paula - I appreciate your visits; I appreciate your friendship :-)

      Have a funtastic weekend!

      Delete