Wedding Song - God Knew That I Needed You

Wednesday, January 12, 2022

HELPING HANDS

For 3 years I’ve been the recipient of unconditional love, acceptance, and unlimited help … from the occasional family member, steady loyal friends, and sometimes from absolute strangers; today was the start of my “getting back into the swing of things”, on a local level.

I’ve always been a helper – I honestly never needed help of any sort, until I became a widow; being in the position of need was an unfamiliar feeling. I am thankful that those who stepped in to help me, knew me, and were kind in the ways they offered – and gave – their help (easing my discomfort of neediness). They helped me out of the goodness of their hearts; I owe them a debt I can never repay. And they won’t ask me to recompence them.

But I can be kind.

And I can pay that kindness forward.

That is payment enough for my friends 😊

I’ve always been a helper.

I have missed that part of myself.

Today my helping hands were busy for two hours, across town: it felt good to be actively engaged in helping again. Afterwards, I ate an early supper at El Ranchero, and visited with the owners; they were happy to see me again, and I was happy to see them again.

Cute ice rounds.
Mural artwork reminds me of the Jewel Quest Game I play on my laptop.

I will be using my helping hands at that end of town on a regular basis … and I will be visiting with my friends, more frequently, again.

I can also be helpful on a national level, too.

I like to keep my hands busy 😉

But not just busy for the sake of being busy – I like my hands to be busy with a purpose.

Another source of lending my hands to help, is Angel Blankets for families dealing with infant loss.

MOD Baby Blanket; Angel Baby Size 21-inch x 21-inch.

Widowhood has taught me quite a bit about things I did not know.

I did not know grief could be so hard to come to terms with: I did not know how important little mementoes would be. I did not understand that missingness would last a lifetime. I was unaware of the struggle between self-reliance and needing the support of others.

I could not have come this far without the help and support of my lifelong-friends; and strangers who have become cherished friends.

Friends with helping hands.

I am glad my hands are being put to use again.

No comments:

Post a Comment