Wedding Song - God Knew That I Needed You

Friday, March 3, 2017

Gauntlet Style Crochet Mittens

I had a rush order come in yesterday morning for mittens for an adult and a toddler to go out asap … so I went online to see what I could find that would work up quickly and keep hands from getting frostbite, and I found these little crochet mitts with slip stich self-ribbing at the wrist @ http://www.knitting-crochet.com/found/mitfou.html

This is what your work will look like once you begin working on the thumb part of the pattern.
Finished work; gauntlet mitten can be put on child before the coat so the mitten cuff can be tucked inside coat cuff … or slipped on little hands quickly and cuff left outside coat cuff if your child is a squirmy one.
Adult Mitten; this mitt looks large, but in actuality it is just slightly bigger than my hand … and I have to buy kids gloves to fit my hands. Seriously. So if you make these mittens, don’t be alarmed if the finished mitt looks larger than you think it should.

These mittens make up very quickly and are very easy to finish. It takes about 1-1/2 hours to finish one mitten for a 2-4 year old toddler; 2 hours and a bit longer for the adult sized mittens. So figure in about 3 - 4 hours to finish a pair; depending on the size you are working on. I have been crocheting for about 35 years and am pretty fast with the hook, so it may take a beginner a bit more time ;-)

The pattern implies that the mittens are to be worked entirely in crochet ribbing, but since these mittens will be going to a family where snow weather is very cold, and very prolonged, I worked my gloves in straight crochet after the slip stich wrist rib for a heavier type of mitt body without being too bulky.


I started thee mitts a little after noon, and just finished the finishing touches on the last pair about 10 minute ago – it’s 2:30 AM here, so I figures it took me 12 hours to make up 5 pair with about 2 hours taken off work to eat and clean up the kitchen. That’s a pretty good turnout :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment