Wedding Song - God Knew That I Needed You

Thursday, November 16, 2017

TRADITIONAL SUGAR COOKIES

Tonight I started holiday cooking – shaped Thanksgiving themed cookies. These cookies are a holiday tradition in our family; I started making them when our daughter was a year old and I’ve made them every year after that: a total of 42 years ;-)

These sugar cookies are THE BEST! And they will hold about 2 weeks in a tightly closed container in the ‘fridge.

For a variation, you can also put fruit filling between 2 unbaked cookies, crimp the edges, and bake for a filled sugar cookie: YUMMY!

The recipe says the dough makes 4 dozen cookies … but I use large cookie cutters and I get about 24 cookies total, so the count will depend on the size of cutter you use.

Traditional Sugar Cookies


¾ cup Shortening (may also half with Butter) – 1 cup Granulated Sugar – 2 Eggs – 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract (or ½ tsp. Lemon extract) – 2-1/2 cups all-purpose Flour -  1 teaspoon Baking Powder – 1 teaspoon Salt

Mix thoroughly the shortening, sugar, eggs, and flavoring. Blend in flour, baking powder and salt.


Cover & chill 1 hour.


Heat oven to 400-degrees.

Roll dough 1/8” thick on a lightly floured surface. Cut into desired shapes and place on an ungreased cookie sheet (I use parchment paper on my sheet because I am a lazy cook).


Bake cookies for 6-8 minutes – or until lightly browned. Remove sheet from oven and cool cookies on a cookie rack.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment